The Watch

I got your watch out of your drawer the other day and put it on my arm. You used to wear it everyday and I thought it might help me feel that you were close.

But, the band was too big and it was uncomfortable, so I took it off and of course, I misplaced it somewhere here in the house. I am so distracted lately that I can't seem to remember where anything is or where I leave things.

For some reason, you had set the alarm on the watch and now, twice a day, I can hear it somewhere in the house, faintly and urgently beep, beeping for some unknown appointment you can no longer keep.

I was right. Now when I hear the sound of that watch, I think of you and I do feel that you are close. I still can't find the watch but I have no intention of looking for it. I am starting to look forward to hearing it because it reminds me of you.